Minecraft 28 Weeks Later
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important! Skinning standardization discussion

3 posters

Go down

Important! Skinning standardization discussion Empty Important! Skinning standardization discussion

Post  Siren Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Okay, before we go any further, we should polish up the designs with one, unified art style. There are a few things we need to decide about, and I'd like that discussed here.

1) solid color vs. variated color
2) how gruesome zombies should be

Also, I would like to point out we have about 20 zombies to do, other than the main character ones (there's a lot running over the hill toward the end), as well as a couple of the cast yet to do in general, as well polishing up all of them to meet the standards we'll set in this thread.

Lots of work to do, you've been doing great so far, let's step it into the next gear now Smile
Siren
Siren

Back to top Go down

Important! Skinning standardization discussion Empty Re: Important! Skinning standardization discussion

Post  O_N_I_A_C Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:38 am

Siren wrote:Okay, before we go any further, we should polish up the designs with one, unified art style. There are a few things we need to decide about, and I'd like that discussed here.

Also, I would like to point out we have about 20 zombies to do, other than the main character ones (there's a lot running over the hill toward the end), as well as a couple of the cast yet to do in general, as well polishing up all of them to meet the standards we'll set in this thread.

Lots of work to do, you've been doing great so far, let's step it into the next gear now Smile

Okay, Might have a go at all the people (Main people.) therefore my version should be using the same type of art style. :3
1.) I think Variated colour looks better and gives it a more minecrafty feel.
2.) If you look at the movie the zombies have red eyes and blood everywhere (and veins but there hard to do) so it would make more sense to try and make them as close as possible to the zombies in the movie.
O_N_I_A_C
O_N_I_A_C

Back to top Go down

Important! Skinning standardization discussion Empty Re: Important! Skinning standardization discussion

Post  p&p Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 am

I don't really know what you mean, but if this is a question of shading versus not shading. Then, the more shading the better.

There should be some variation, but I'm an advocate of "less is more".

Also to create a clear distinction between humans and zombies, despite bloodstains,
I suggest using a different style to do the zombies eyes.
Important! Skinning standardization discussion P04kl
It's just a suggestion, but I think it makes the zombies seem more savage and devoid of emotion.

I'll await your answer before I post any zombie skins.

p&p

Back to top Go down

Post  Siren Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:23 am

For zombies based on real characters, we still need them to be recognizable as the original person gone terribly wrong. I think that considering the movie, we should go more gruesome, and considering minecraft, it would be less (no blood actually, which would be hard to pull off). It's just a matter of which way we want to go about it. I think I'll get styx to weigh in on this one as well via email. For now, my vote is more.

As far as varieted color, I mean by that that instead of a solid color for each portion, with only one color value, you have subtle differences. I also support doing a style with more variation in shades, and we seem to be in agreement here, so let's run with that part. This also means that the 11 or so skins in the zombie section have to be touched up some, but that shouldn't take long.

If we have a a vote or two more in either direction about the bloodiness we'll run with it. Also, if people can help get another skinner or two on the team, that would be appreciated. They'll follow whatever style we set here. (Early birds make the decisions!)
Siren
Siren

Back to top Go down

Important! Skinning standardization discussion Empty Another thing...

Post  Siren Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 am

Also I just realized we should probably all agree on how we're using the extra head space (the part that surrounds the head, used for glasses, helmets, hats, and also sometimes hair). Just something else to think about
Siren
Siren

Back to top Go down

Post  O_N_I_A_C Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:47 am

I used the extra head in alice's skin Surprised
O_N_I_A_C
O_N_I_A_C

Back to top Go down

Post  Siren Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:26 am

Okay, so apparently as there's a littlebit of a lack of really strong opinions on the issue:

1) varietated color will be used, meaning that each section of the skin will not be colored with only one hue, but with varied hues, similar to the creeper's face variations in green, and just about every block's color scheme on minecraft.

2) the amount of bloodiness should be stupendous. They're coming up with a ridiculous amount of items to simulate extra blood spattering everywhere, so it would look really silly to have the skins themselves clean.

3) the outer head will be used for hair, to provide depth. The colors of this should be appropriately added to the main portion of head as well, ie where the hair would actually be coming out. This will provide a few options, depending on the relation between the two colorations- you can make more of a bob style by having the outer be smaller than the inner, you can have more of bangs and other forms of hair being longer and the rest by having the outer larger than the inner, and you can just make it really thick hair if they match. If the hair is supposed to be really thin, then by all means it makes sense to only use the main layer. Perhaps this will help us in distinguishing the older characters with thinning hair. The drawback to this is that hair that goes below the shoulders looks even MORE silly, but that was going to happen anyway, and is only pertinent to I think one character, so oh well.

Anybody have any problems with the above?
Siren
Siren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down